Senior Manager New Broadcast Technology Engineering
Senior Manager, New Broadcast Technology, Engineering - Toronto or Montreal (Corporate Services) - MON04457
Please note this position can be based in either Toronto or Montreal.
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
Whether on-air or behind the scenes, here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians. So, if you’ve got the ability to keep up with the pace of our ever-changing industry, the passion to make the next great idea even better and the drive to make things happen, this is the place for you.
CBC/Radio-Canada’s New Broadcast Technology & Architecture department is actively looking for a Senior Manager for the Broadcast Technology group. This group is responsible for the planning, development and assessment of technology for the broadcast media production chain and provides engineering advice and guidance to other components, including the radio and television teams on implementation scenarios of new technologies. Moreover, the group ensures that the new technologies migration paths proposed for the radio and television teams are achieved in an optimum engineering manner that is cost effective and on time.
As Senior Manager of the Broadcast Technology group, your responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Manage a team within the New Broadcast Technology & Architecture group, including Senior Specialist Engineers, Senior Engineers, Senior Technology Specialists and Technicians
- Direct specialized investigations and evaluations of state-of-the art technologies in the areas of radio and television broadcast and signal transport environment
- Manage the execution of proof of concept with emerging technologies as well as manage the facilities and equipment of the New Broadcast Technology & Architecture department
- Give presentations and briefings on new emerging technologies to the Media and Technology Infrastructure Services (MTIS) components and media groups
- Advise on both the hardware and software for radio & television teams, Broadcast Engineering and IT Networks, ensuring interoperability throughout all segments of the broadcast chain
- Provide technology support to MTIS components (e.g. Networks, Transmission, etc.) and media teams on alternative scenarios in order to promote strategic business cases for reducing capital/operation costs without service reductions.
- Bachelor degree in electrical engineering or relevant field or equivalent experience (CBC/Radio-Canada recognized experience)
- Member of or eligible to be in at least one provincial professional engineering order
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a radio or television production/studio environment within the North American broadcasting industry, having work experience and projects with both Canadian and U.S. broadcasters and content producers
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience managing a technical team
- Excellent communications skills
- Bilingual (oral and written)
- In-depth knowledge and experience in signal transport, networking technologies, distribution, delivery and RF transmission of SDTV and HDTV including systems engineering, design, specifications and the ability to understand the scope of application of new technology architectures
- Good understanding of the various processes and the new technologies applicable to specific segments of the broadcast chain from acquisition-production, editing-postproduction-archiving to playout of television program content
- Good knowledge of broadcasting engineering and system implementations of digital signal transport technologies for both radio and television, including multi-channel sound television
- Advanced knowledge of computer systems and information technologies
- Knowledge and experience working with other broadcast companies on issues and challenges relating to content management systems, including requirements for archiving/storage, multi-formats, access, cost/benefits analysis, etc
- Ability to travel frequently across offices in Canada, and occasionally, internationally.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting our country’s diversity.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our corporate website.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job PostingDec 19, 2016, 1:32:03 PM
Unposting DateJan 13, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Status of Employment Permanent
Toronto, ON, CA
|Posted:||Dec 20, 2016|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)