Palmer Rapids, ON
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario
Posted: January 3, 2017
Rapid Media is an established paddlesports media company. We produce four paddling magazines: Adventure Kayak, Kayak Angler, Rapid and Canoeroots. We also publish Paddling Magazine in digital format, and print the annual Paddling Buyer's Guide and Paddling Trip Guide. Our company also produces the Reel Paddling Film Fest. Over the last 18 years we’ve worked hard to become North America’s paddlesports authority.
The managing editor is responsible for managing projects, deadlines and timelines across the editorial department, including coordinating day-to-day operations, processes, budgets and staff, to ensure print and digital content moves smoothly to publication.
This department head position includes cross-media platform planning, assigning content, writing and editing, as well as some photography and video work, and social media oversight. You should have an understanding of paddling—including whitewater, canoeing, kayak touring or standup paddleboarding—and the paddling industry.
The position is in-house, full-time and year-round.
OTHER STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW
We are located in Palmer Rapids, which is a small community with a big heart and quite a bit going on throughout the year. Our office is on the bank of the Madawaska River, five minutes downstream from class II-III+ Palmer Rapids, less than an hour from the mighty Ottawa River, and right in the middle between Algonquin Park and Calabogie Peaks ski resort. We paddle, ride bikes and ski regularly and go swimming from the dock at lunchtime.
The position is currently based out of our offices in Palmer Rapids. Alternative longer-term arrangements may be made after you become familiar with our business. We are only two hours to Ottawa, and three hours to Toronto.
Our team consists of a publisher, five editors, film festival tour coordinator, director of sales, advertising and sponsorship coordinator, designer and production coordinator, marketing coordinator, digital project manager, circulation manager and account manager. Most of us wear flip-flops and none of us have ever sat at our desks wearing a tie.
- Advanced knowledge in journalism and print/digital content production, 3+ years experience a MUST
- Leadership skills to direct and mentor team of staff writers and freelancers
- Excellent planning skills and ability to oversee projects from concept through finished layouts and production
- Ability to manage multiple, overlapping deadlines
- Thrive on telling stories important to paddlersEditing excellence
- A grasp of the finer points of paddlesports
- Ability to work and make decisions under pressure
- Clever wit and marketing savvy for writing punchy display copy
- Education in journalism, professional writing, marketing, publishing and/or media
- Experience with social media platforms and SEO an asset
- Strong desire to live outside the city and paddle, bike and ski rather than go the mall
Please also include a 500-word boat review you feel could appear in one of our magazines.
If you think this job is great but not the perfect fit for you, feel free to forward this job posting to that someone you know who wears GoreTex and always has something strapped to the roof racks of his/her vehicle. Thanks.
Palmer Rapids, ON, CA
|Posted:||Jan 10, 2017|
|Apply Now (This company has requested a direct email with resume attached)|