Palmer Rapids, ON
We have one full-time Editorial Designer/Production Coordinator position to fill immediately or by June 1, 2017.
Rapid Media is the world leader in paddlesports media, since 1999. Rapid Media publishes Rapid, Adventure Kayak, Canoeroots & Family Camping, Kayak Angler, Paddling Buyer’s Guide, Paddling Trip Guide, Paddling Magazine, and produces the Reel Paddling Film Festival and Rapid Media TV.
We are a small team in a small outdoorsy town so we’re very interested in finding the right personality fit, as well as someone with the right aptitude, vision, enthusiasm and commitment.
Specifically, we need someone who is creative, energetic, self-directed, detail-oriented, fast and has outstanding time management skills and a love of the outdoors.
EDUCATION AND MORE
Here’s a little more of what we think will help you succeed…
• Sophisticated typography and design skills
• The ability to multi-task and be resourceful under tight deadlines
• Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator on the Mac platform
• The ability to plan and oversee editorial projects from concept through finished layouts and production
• The ability to work independently but also as a team player
• Strong communication skills
• Excellent attention to details
• Strong desire to live outside the city and paddle, bike and ski rather than go to the mall
We are an established paddlesports media company with four paddling magazines, annual paddling buyer’s guide and paddling travel guide, a monthly digital paddling magazine, an international paddling film festival and a whole bunch of online media properties.
We have partnerships with the American Canoe Association, Paddle Canada and Outdoor Retailer. We were the first paddling and fishing magazines, and first magazine in Canada, in Apple’s Apps Store.
Right now our main focus is connecting all the dots and growing market share, sales and readership. What does this mean, really? We want even more paddlers reading and enjoying our stuff.
The job entails designing and coordinating the production of pretty much everything we do here at Rapid Media including: print and digital magazines; websites; newsletters; marketing materials; client ad creative; and the Reel Paddling Film Festival.
To be a little more specific, the job includes the following:
• Brainstorming ideas, strong visual/concept, create and execute layouts for the magazine
• Integrate and maintain the look and feel of Rapid Media publications and other media properties
• Work with editors to develop strategies and solutions for stories and packages
• Ensure all layouts are clean, pre-flighted and well-prepared for pre-press
• Review all final pages, prepare files for print and sign off all final proofs
• Colour correct and prepare all images for final files (print-ready)
• Work with in-house marketing to create and/or approve branded advertorials, brand ads and marketing materials as required
• Manage and adhere to the art budget
• Basically, you are the lead and only designer for all of Rapid Media’s print and digital properties
You will be joining a tight-knit team, consisting of a publisher (that’s me, Scott MacGregor) and:
• Five editors putting together Rapid, Adventure Kayak, Kayak Angler, Canoeroots, Paddling Magazine and our annual Paddling Buyer’s Guide;
• Reel Paddling Film Festival World Tour coordinator;
• Director of advertising sales;
• Marketing and circulation sales manager;
• Advertising and sponsorship coordinator;
• Finance and project manager;
• Circulation manager
We are based in the beautiful Ottawa Valley, Palmer Rapids to be specific. This is a full-time, in-house position.
Our office is on the bank of the Madawaska River, five minutes downstream from class II-III+ rapids, less than an hour from the mighty Ottawa River, and right in the middle between Algonquin Park and Calabogie Peaks ski resort. We paddle regularly and go swimming from the dock at lunchtime.
HOW TO APPLY
Sound like the perfect combination of work and play? Please send your resume and portfolio.
Thanks to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
55 Red Pine Drive
Palmer Rapids, ON, CA
|Posted:||Mar 20, 2017|