Palmer Rapids, ON
Rapid Media is the world’s leading paddlesports media company. We produce four paddling magazines: Adventure Kayak, Kayak Angler, Rapid and Canoeroots. We also publish Paddling Magazine in digital format, and print the annual Paddling Buyer's Guide and new Paddling Trip Guide. Rapid Media also produces the Reel Paddling Film Fest. Over the last 19 years we’ve worked hard to become North America’s paddlesports authority.
Assistant editor responsibilities include planning, coordinating, writing and editing, and ensuring deadlines are met and content moves smoothly to publication. The goal is to provide exceptional, engaging and informative stories that paddlers want to read.
Expect to work in a variety of platforms, including writing for web and print, as well as shooting some photography video and engaging on social media.
You should have an understanding of paddling—including whitewater, canoeing, kayak touring, kayak fishing or standup paddleboarding—and the paddling industry. Our readers are paddling enthusiasts.
The position is in-house, full-time and year-round. Think…this is a real job.
· Proven experience as a contributing writer or editor
· Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills with an excellent portfolio
· Planning skills and ability to oversee projects from concept through finished layouts and production
· Ability to manage multiple, overlapping deadlines
· Thrive on telling stories important to paddlers
· A grasp of the finer points of the paddlesports industry, boats, gear, etc.
· Clever wit and marketing savvy for writing punchy display copy
· Education in journalism, professional writing, marketing, publishing and/or media
· Experience with social media platforms and SEO an asset
· Strong desire to live outside the city and paddle, bike and ski rather than go the mall
We are located in Palmer Rapids, which is a small community with a big heart and quite a bit going on throughout the year. Our office is on the river-right bank of the Madawaska River, five minutes downstream from class II-III+ Palmer Rapids, less than an hour from the mighty Ottawa River, and right in the middle between Algonquin Park and Calabogie Peaks ski resort. We paddle, ride bikes and ski regularly and go swimming from the dock at lunchtime.
The position is currently based out of our office in Palmer Rapids. Alternative longer-term (think a couple years of in-house work first) arrangements may be made after you become familiar with our business. We are only two hours to Ottawa, and three hours to Toronto.
Our team consists of a publisher, five editors, film festival tour coordinator, director of sales, advertising and sponsorship coordinator, designer and production coordinator, marketing coordinator, digital project manager, circulation manager and account manager. Most of us wear flip-flops and have never once sat at our desks wearing a tie.
HOW TO APPLY
Sound like the perfect combination of work and play? Send your CV and your portfolio. Please also provide a boat review that could appear in one of our magazines.
Thanks to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you think this job is awesome but not the perfect fit for you, please forward this posting along. Thanks for doing so.
55 Red Pine Drive
Palmer Rapids, ON, CA
|Posted:||Mar 20, 2017|