The Application Deadline for this job posting is coming soon. Apply by Sep 26, 2017!
Subject Editor Geography and Science
JOB DESCRIPTION: SUBJECT EDITOR, GEOGRAPHY & SCIENCE
(12 month maternity leave substitute, full-time)
Historica Canada is the country’s largest organization dedicated to enhancing awareness of Canada’s history and citizenship. Some of Historica Canada’s signature programs are: Encounters with Canada, The Heritage Minutes, The Memory Project, The Citizenship Challenge and The Canadian Encyclopedia. For more information, visit www.historicacanada.ca.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Subject Editor for The Canadian Encyclopedia will be an individual who is passionate about the work of Historica Canada, has had experience working with a team to achieve deliverables in a timely fashion and is enthusiastic about creating a legacy for all Canadians. The successful candidate is creative, driven, and has experience editing in a professional capacity.
The responsibilities of the Senior Subject Editor include:
- Updating articles and coordinating the update of articles with freelance authors, within a specialized subject portfolio (Geography & Science)
- Writing new articles and editing new articles written by freelance authors, within a specialized subject portfolio (Geography & Science)
- Identifying and commissioning new articles and authors, based on production quota and organization’s selection criteria
- Peer reviewing substantive editing by other subject editors (outside of specialized portfolio) for updated articles and new articles, based on production quota
- Developing and managing relationships with consultants (contributors, fact-checkers, etc.) to meet editorial deadlines
- Contributing to editorial calendar, including tracking current events, anniversaries and commemorations within portfolio
- Contributing to TCE special features as needed
- Responding to reader comments for portfolio
- Providing content for reports on updates and additions within portfolio
- Tracking expenses, ensuring expenses remain within budgets, and reporting on variances
- Taking part in strategic planning discussions
- Consulting with Managing Editor on key editorial decisions and policies
- Uploading articles to TCE’s website and documenting the tracking of each article as it moves through the writing, editing and publishing process.
- A degree in Canadian Studies, History, Journalism or equivalent; graduate studies an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent attention to detail ·
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of Canadian history and current events: please state any specialization
- Knowledge of online media and publishing industry
- Strong budgeting and strategic planning skills
- Editorial experience an asset
- Professional working experience in the non-profit, heritage or education sector an asset
- Bilingual (English and French) an asset
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required by the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
This is a full-time, 12 month contract position as a maternity leave substitute, ending November 2018. The annual salary for this position is $46,000.00
Please submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF or Microsoft Word document with your full name and the position as the file name. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interviews may be arranged before the deadline. Interested candidates should submit their application no later than September 26, 2017 5:00 PM EST to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to this posting in the subject line. Successful candidates will be contacted directly. Phone calls or solicitations from agencies and candidates will not be accepted.
Historica Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
2 Carlton Street
Toronto, ON, CA
|Posted:||Sep 13, 2017|
|Closing:||Sep 26, 2017|