Switcher-Director (English Services) - VAN00771
Switcher-Director (English Services) - VAN00771
Job Family: Technical and Production
Primary Location: Vancouver
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC/Radio-Canada Vancouver is looking for a full time permanent Switcher-Director assigned to local CBC News Vancouver production, and will have a role and opportunity with Remote Control Room Production in other regions (Charlottetown CBC News: Compass), Network/National programming (The National), Radio-Canada French Programming (TJ Vancouver) and special programming.
Under the direction of the Producer of Studio Operations, the Switcher-Director will direct on-air talent and crew during rehearsal, preparation and presentation of a program or program segments, and perform the related switching and mixing functions. Work is governed by CBC journalistic and/or programming policies, standards and practices, but there is latitude for creativity, initiative and judgment. This is a leadership position within the CBC News Vancouver team, and there is a requirement to coordinate the work of others.
- Actively participate in conceiving, planning and developing the program or program segment to which you are assigned.
- Conceive, plan and develop the program's style and presentation elements, ensuring that they match the program plan and concept. For daily programs, follow the daily program plan, especially with regard to developing production elements, informing the producer, production and editorial team or crew of any changes or major developments.
- Organize and conduct recordings of certain program segments so that production staff and crew are well prepared.
- Ensure that all program elements are organized, mixed, and ready for use.
- Oversee the production elements of content recording/ingesting, show timing, lighting, studio cameras and teleprompting.
- Ensure that all staff required for the program's smooth operation have been scheduled and will be in position, checking with the producer or scheduling as needed.
- Be responsible for submitting detailed daily show reports and participate in the daily Continuous Improvement process and following up as required.
- Order and book satellite links, NGCN lines, coordinate mobiles trucks or Derejo transmission.
- May be required to perform the work of other production services positions within the production team.
- Give team members clear instructions throughout the production.
- Consult with other experts involved in the production to ensure the program's audio and visual cohesion, as well as to optimize the production's end-to-end artistic and technical quality.
- Switch and mix the audio and visual elements included in the production.
- Create audio or visual effects to achieve the program's artistic and technical objectives.
- Design or assemble visual elements from field content or stock content for program elements.
- Provide feedback on team members' performances to guide them in their work.
- Perform all other related tasks.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from Community College plus seven years of practical and relevant experience.
- Three years of specialized experience in the news field or remote broadcasting.
- Three years of experience directing programming for air or editing content for on air presentation.
- Strong English Language Skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills .
- Knowledge and understanding of News presentation techniques and technological developments that support presentation style for the digital, social media and television platforms.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the equipment to be operated as well as other equipment used as inputs to the program. This includes, but is not exclusive to Avid products, Ross Overdrive, VizRT, Studer, iNews and Derejo.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex systems and be open to taking direction from Maintenance staff to make basic repairs to systems.
- Ability to develop Ross Overdrive automation an asset.
- Strong computer skills in a Windows environment including, but not limited to, Windows 7 Operating System, Remote Desktop, Google Drive, Photoshop, and Network Drive file management.
- Demonstrated ability to give clear, concise and timely direction in a manner, which will ensure that the direction is immediately understood and followed.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the content and presentation objectives of the programs.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the work of others in order to meet program presentation deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks in a highly technical/computerized environment and to perform tasks of a live control room director.
- Demonstrated self-starter with initiative and motivation to adapt to new technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure in a tight deadline live environment.
- Ability to work shift work and/or evenings and weekends
- French Language Skills a strong asset.
- Open and flexible to doing work of a lower classification.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5a1b99e36ff05d5b6919db01/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Vancouver, BC, CA
|Posted:||Nov 27, 2017|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)