Switcher-Director (CBC North) - YEL00214
Switcher-Director (CBC North) - YEL00214
Job Family Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location Yellowknife
Status of Employment Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Financial assistance is provided to help offset expenses related to relocation. In addition, allowances and provisions for employees working in isolated locations apply.
CBC/Radio-Canada Yellowknife is looking for a full time permanent Switcher-Director assigned to CBC North television newscasts Igalaaq and Northbeat. Igalaaq brings the day's news in the Inuktitut language every evening at 6:00 PM Eastern time (4:00 p.m. MT). Igalaaq is hosted from Iqaluit with the Yellowknife control room. CBC News: Northbeat is your guide to life in the Yukon, NWT and Nunavut — across Canada and around the world and is hosted from Yellowknife.
Under the authority of the Show Producer, directs on-air talent and crew during rehearsal, preparation and presentation of a program or program segment, and performs the related switching and mixing functions. Work is governed by CBC journalistic and/or programming policies, standards and practices but there is latitude for creativity, initiative and independent judgment. There is a requirement to coordinate the work of others.
- Participates in the conception, planning and development of the program or segment being directed.
- Conceives, plans, develops and directs the presentation elements and program style, ensuring consistency with the program plan and concept. In the case of daily programs, monitors the progress of the daily program plan, in particular the development of production elements, and informs the Executive Producer or Producer, talent and crew of any significant new developments or changes.
- Organizes and rehearses all elements of the program to ensure that the talent and crew are fully prepared.
- Ensures that all items to be used in the program are organized, pre-mixed if possible and appropriate, and available.
- Provides performers, participants and members of the production crew with clear direction throughout the program.
- Consults with other specialists involved in the program project to ensure aural and visual unity, as well as optimum creative and technical quality throughout the production.
- Switches and mixes audio and video elements involved in the production.
- Devises audio and/or visual effects in order to produce results consistent with the creative and technical objectives of the program.
- Provides performers and crew with feedback to assist in their performance.
- As assigned or required, may be required to:
- Performs specialized tasks in design, contributing creatively by developing distinctive visual results where the requirements are clear.
- Prepares graphics and executes graphics work using the appropriate tools and materials.
- Assembles, organizes and manipulates visual material, text and fonts from a variety of sources to create graphic elements.
- Maintains the maximum possible visual and technical quality on the program material being handled at all stages of production.
- Select tools and ensures that facilities and materials are available to meet requirements.
- Suggests and devises special audio, visual or lighting effects to meet program requirements and operates tools to produce such effects.
- Evaluates recorded material to determine if it meets approved technical standards.
- Ensures the proper operating condition of tools by making the necessary checks, adjustments and alignments according to standard procedures. Reporting any equipment failures to appropriate technical departments.
- Contributes ideas and makes recommendations to overcome problems or achieve desired results.
As required, performs the following tasks:
- finalize scripts;
- choose program elements and/or participants.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from Community College plus seven years of practical and relevant experience.
- Three years of specialized experience in the news field or remote broadcasting.
- Three years of experience Directing programming for air or editing content for on air presentation.
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and initiative.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of CBC production values, Journalistic standards and practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of News presentation techniques and technological developments that support presentation style.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of an automated control room and auxiliary equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to give clear, concise and timely direction in a manner, which will ensure that the direction is immediately understood and followed.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the content and presentation objectives of the programs.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the work of others in order to meet program presentation deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks in a highly technical/computerized environment and to perform tasks of a live control room director.
- Demonstrated self-starter with initiative and motivation to adapt to new technology.
- Knowledge of shooting and editing functions an asset.
- Knowledge of program timing.
- Occasional shift or weekend work may be required.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5a398f6faed5d61b63041da6/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Yellowknife, NT, CA
|Posted:||Dec 20, 2017|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)