Senior Producer (CBC North) - WHI00034
Senior Producer (CBC North) - WHI00034
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Whitehorse
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Financial assistance is provided in the form of allowances and provisions for employees working in isolated locations.
Break out of the ordinary. Live North where the air is clean and the stories are plentiful.
CBC North is looking for a self-starter who loves to tell stories... all kinds of stories. The North is in transition. We are seeing the effects of climate change, through crumbling roads and buildings. We're seeing a rise in the rights and power of indigenous groups. And, we have lots of "characters", who make great stories. There are good opportunities for learning and travel. We believe in doing quality work while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
CBC North is looking for a Senior Producer of News and Current Affairs programming in Yukon based in Whitehorse.
We are looking for a dynamic team leader who can bring out the best in a team. As Senior Producer of CBC's Yukon multiplatform news coverage you will be in charge of planning, organizing and producing daily news and current affairs programs that engage the audience and reflects the Yukon in all of its diversity. You will set the editorial and programming agenda with original, enterprise and investigative storytelling. You inspire others to do the same.
Your responsibilities will include overseeing news and current affairs assignments and program development of morning, noon and afternoon radio programs. You would oversee staff and freelancers to effectively and efficiently cover the stories and issues affecting the people of the Yukon. This position will have some pan-Northern responsibilities and involve significant contributions to CBC.ca/North and social media, as well as radio and television. The Senior Producer will be leading production relating to special programming such as elections, investigative pieces and pan-Northern events.
Reporting to the Station Manager of the Whitehorse operation, the successful candidate will lead a team of two producers, 3 radio programs, and a newsroom of 7 journalists, actively participating in the program/news agenda and assignment process.
The Senior Producer must be an advocate for our online and digital platforms and an active, visible champion of the Vision for Local Services.
You will be involved in establishing goals for all platforms and the person responsible for ensuring our team follows the strategies and benchmarks so we reach those goals.
You bring to the role a solid track record of journalistic excellence and enterprise journalism along with experience with CBC’s Journalistic Standards and Practices. You have a strong understanding of broadcast journalism, digital news and social media as well as the story treatments appropriate for each platform. Working with CBC North’s news leadership you will help grow audience engagement with our stories as we transition more of our resources to the digital service. You are the journalistic leader in the station and will escalate issues to the Regional Managing Editor in Yellowknife, when necessary.
- Ensures all resources within the program or series or location or unit are allocated against strategic priorities.
- Supports team development and ongoing staff feedback
- Performs all or part of the function or duties of an equivalent or lower classification.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- University degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience of which three must involve work in broadcasting or a closely related industry, which is directly related to the area of assignment.
- Strong journalistic skills.
- Substantial experience in enterprise journalism.
- Demonstrated experience in digital journalism.
- Ability to assign, manage and motivate staff, coordinate with other departments in a productive manner, and mediate disputes as they arise.
- High-level knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to journalism.
- Excellent general knowledge about Yukon provincial and civic politics, geography, history, and current issues.
- Experience and proven ability to tell stories in compelling and innovative ways to increase audience engagement.
- Ability to manage large volumes of fast-moving information and ensure material is directed appropriately.
- Knowledge of user-generated content and social media techniques and policies.
- Excellent news judgment and ability to work effectively under 24/7 newsroom deadline pressure.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong team player.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5abcf630a9d8ab043d14b7a2/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Whitehorse, YT, CA
|Posted:||Mar 30, 2018|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)