Copy Editor (English Services) - CHA00067
Copy Editor (English Services) - CHA00067
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we’re all about creating content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms and from coast to coast to coast. Want to be part of all this, and think you have the ability and drive to keep pace with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Then we hope you’ll consider this posting, check out our job-listings, and explore the possibilities of working with us. Whether it be in front of the camera, on mic, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC is reinvesting in the regions by creating new positions across Canada as part of our digital strategy. Come join us on this exciting challenge to explore new ways of telling stories and diving deep into how media is created, transmitted and consumed!
Are you fascinated by the shifting media landscape? Do you keep up with emerging technologies? Get set for an all-new approach to regional media coverage founded on mobility, interactivity, proximity and innovation - the concept will allow residents to stay well informed, as well as discuss and react to events affecting their daily lives, all via the public broadcaster.
Reporting to the Digital Senior Producer, you copy, edit, vet, package, write and publish for presentation online, on social media platforms, or for radio and/or television programs. You demonstrate and maintain exceptional skill in writing, you build multimedia-rich story packages. Work can involve the coordination of the activities of others and close co-operation with the program unit is essential.
- Critically edits material written by others and/or items produced by others;
- Provides quality control for CBCNews.ca;
- Copy edits stories and works with reporters/writers to improve stories. This includes ensuring accuracy, consistency in style, and editing for basic “craft” including story flow and unanswered questions;
- Can write amazing headlines and understands SEO;
- Builds and packages content, including photo galleries, videos and links;
- Maintains a thorough understanding of digital/mobile platforms and audience needs by day and time;
- Able to work in a deadline driven current affairs and news environment while maintaining a calm, professional and understanding attitude.
- As required, performs the following tasks:
- Any task of a Reporter/Editor;
- Edit, encode, digitize and package audio and video material for a website using appropriate technologies;
- Uses interactive tools to create simple graphics to aid reader understanding.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A university degree or equivalent;
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience including proven ability in the field and knowledge of the digital or print industry;
- Understanding of segmenting stories (aka ‘elementing’) as well as writing with voice and personality is required;
- An understanding of image selection and cropping is required;
- Familiarity with social media in the distribution of news;
- An understanding of an online Content Management System is an asset;
- Basic HTML skills are required;
- Good communication skills;
- Extensive general knowledge;
- Excellent knowledge of current events;
- Advice and guidance are available but initiative and independent judgment are expected.
Please include a link to your online demo or website, blog or video.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5aeb56e32e065304383253f7/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Charlottetown, PE, CA
|Posted:||May 04, 2018|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)