Copy Editor (CBC North) - YEL00224
Copy Editor (CBC North) - YEL00224
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Yellowknife
Status of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Financial assistance? is provided? in the form of allowances and provisions for employees working in isolated locations.
Break out of the ordinary. Come north where the air is clean and the stories are plentiful.
CBC Yellowknife is looking for a self-starter who loves to tell stories... all kinds of stories. The North is in transition. We are seeing the effects of climate change, through crumbling roads and buildings. We're seeing a rise in the rights and power of indigenous groups. And, we have lots of "characters", who make great stories. There are good opportunities for learning and travel. We believe in helping our emplyees do their best work while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
You have fresh ideas and technical expertise to create the quality programming Canadians have come to expect from us. As an outside-the-box thinker, you are someone who is always ready to explore new ways of creating content that is as distinctive, intelligent and innovative as the people we look to hire.
We are seeking an excellent writer and editor with a journalistic background who can produce effective, polished prose for stories published to cbc.ca/north. Joining a digital-first newsroom, you will take a lead role in coaching and developing writers who also work in radio news, television and current affairs. You will also be expected to report and write stories as needed.
Reporting to the digital producer, you will copy edit, vet, package and publish stories for presentation online, on social media platforms, or for radio and/or television programs. Candidates must demonstrate strong headline writing skills and experience in building multimedia-rich story packages. Your work will involve the close coordination with others within a multi-platform news team that spans three territories.
- Critically edit material written by others with an eye to legal/ethical issues
- Provide quality control for stories published to CBC.ca, making sure all of our stories live up to our Journalistic Standards and Practices
- Work one-on-one with reporters/writers to improve stories and writing. This includes ensuring accuracy, consistency in style, and editing for basic “craft” including story flow and unanswered questions
- Write strong headlines
- Build and package content, including photo galleries, videos and related links
- Maintain a thorough understanding of digital/mobile platforms and audience needs by day and time
- Work in a deadline-driven news and current affairs environment while maintaining a calm, professional and understanding attitude
- Additional tasks, as required:
- Perform the work of a reporter/editor
- Edit, encode, digitize and package audio and video material for a website using appropriate technologies
- Use interactive tools to create simple graphics to aid reader understanding
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A university degree or equivalent
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience including proven ability in the field and knowledge of the digital or print industry
- Strong knowledge of the legal/ethical issues in the media and CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices
- Ability to write with voice and personality
- An understanding of image selection and editing
- Familiarity with social media in the distribution of news
- An understanding of an online Content Management System is an asset
- Strong communication skills
- Extensive general knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of current events
- Initiative and independent judgement (though advice and guidance will be available)
Please include a link to your online demo or website, blog or video.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Please apply online at: https://rita.illicohodes.com/go/5af9b4a3931590043d6ba1a6/51fc022158b70066fae49ff7/en
Yellowknife, NT, CA
|Posted:||May 14, 2018|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)