McMaster Students Union
The MSU represents full-time undergraduate students at McMaster University. The MSU purpose is to draw into a true society all students at McMaster University. In pursuit of this, it will foster activities and events which will enhance the University experience of its members and contribute to the life of the University as a whole. Further, it will seek to facilitate communication between the student body, the University and other organizations and will organize and regulate student self-government.
Operating as a not-for-profit incorporated entity, the MSU is a unique organization with a wide spectrum of activities. The Underground Media + Design Graphic Designer will be responsible for designing and preparing graphics and artwork for internal and external clients (services and businesses in and around McMaster University and Hamilton) as directed by the Manager & Creative Director.
- Co-ordinate all aspects of graphic design projects from liaising, quoting, designing, printing to final delivery for both internal and external clients.
- In conjunction with the Service Manager, obtain estimates for sub-contracting of print jobs.
- Assist in the updating and maintenance of all MSU Underground Media + Design websites and social media accounts.
- Oversee and control file management and archiving of design projects.
- Ensure adherence to MSU brand guidelines.
- Communicate with Underground Media + Design Staff to co-ordinate completion of design and print jobs.
- In conjunction with other team members, develop and maintain systems of communication to ensure that all staff members are provided with the information they require to carry out their jobs and serve customers.
- Foster and maintain professional and positive working relationships with University representatives and MSU University Departments.
- Recommend improvements to products and services offered by MSU Underground Media + Design.
- Attend and participate in weekly and/or monthly staff meetings.
- Assist front counter staff with answering questions from walk-in clients.
- Responsible for dealing with other routine and non-routine duties that may arise in the daily operation of the department. This may include assisting front staff during peak times.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with students in a high-energy, dynamic environment and should possess the following:
- Related post-secondary diploma or degree.
- Three to five years of work experience in the graphic design industry with a print production focus.
- Portfolio demonstrating technical and creative ability.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (i.e., Illustrator, Photoshop & InDesign).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively with a wide variety of individuals including clients, colleagues, students and staff.
- Must be able to work with Mac and/or Windows based design workstations.
- High degree of skill with industry standard programs (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Knowledge of digital printing and finishing equipment.
- Must have solid organizational and time management skills.
- Willingness to participate in ongoing training to keep skills up to current industry standards.
- Experience in WordPress-based web design and website maintenance considered an asset.
- Familiarity with all relevant social media platforms and analytics reporting is also an asset.
- Must be able to receive direction and work independently with firm deadlines.
- Initiative required to develop systems for operational improvements.
- Customer service environment.
- Must be able to work effectively and creatively through constant interruptions of varying severity.
- Long periods of time are spent sitting at a desk and focusing on small details.
- Occasionally project demands may exceed stated hours of work.
- Lifting, including heavy objects, while stocking shelves or putting away deliveries may be required.
- Networked Mac and Windows based computers.
- Digital printing press, copiers and large format printers.
- Industrial cutter and binding equipment.
- Other assets as found in print and design operations.
We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The McMaster Students Union (MSU) is strongly committed to employment equity within its community and to recruiting a diverse staff. The MSU encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons with disabilities, First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons, members of racialized communities and 2SLGBTQIA-identified persons. Please note that the MSU is an independently incorporated students’ union operating within the McMaster University community; this is not a McMaster University position.
Application deadline: 2021-01-03
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $889.43 per week
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday
- No weekends
- graphic design: 3 years (Required)
- Draft mockups of website designs, brochures, iconography, and any other marketing materials required
- Collaborate with marketing teams and management to discuss which mockups are effective, and use their feedback to develop final drafts
- Revise the work of previous designers to create a unified aesthetic for our brand materials
- Work on multiple projects at once, and consistently meet draft deadlines
- Communicate frequently with clients to update them on the progress of the project and to answer any questions they might have
- Other duties as requested
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
|Category:||Graphics / Web|
McMaster Students Union
Hamilton, ON, CA
|Posted:||Dec 14, 2020|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)