Green Thumb Theatre is seeking a lower mainland based Assistant Production Manager to assist Green Thumb Theatre’s Production Manager, Ruth Bruhn, in the day-to-day and project-based running of the production department.
About the Role:
The Assistant Production Manager (APM) reports to the Production Manager, Ruth Bruhn. Working together they will follow through with the production and facility needs of the organization.
This contract is short term, with the potential (contingent on funding and candidate) to turn into an ongoing part-time position for the duration of the 2021-22 season. Green Thumb is looking for a person who is interested in making production management a career in the future.
Due to COVID-19, all staff members are currently working on a rotational basis in the office but are primarily working remotely. During the duration of the contract the APM will:
- Assist in the live-broadcast production of STILL/FALLING by Rachel Aberle, streaming to schools across the province
- Assist in scheduling/overseeing building of various sets for upcoming productions
- Assist in overseeing accessibility upgrades to the studio and office buildings
- Assist with budgeting/scheduling for the 2021/22 season
- Support technical workshopping for future live-stream initiatives
- Undertake general research and other duties as needed
- Post-secondary training with a focus in theatre production or a related discipline, and/or professional experience in theatre production/event management and coordination/related industries.
- Due to COVID-19, the candidate must live in the lower mainland at time of application.
- Must have a BC class 5 driver’s license (or out of province equivalent) at time of application. The candidate must be willing to learn to drive a Sprinter and Chevy Express vans.
- Must be comfortable working in-person under strict COVID-19 protocols in alignment with WorkSafeBC and provincial health guidelines. For most recent COVID-19 policies please visit https://www.greenthumb.bc.ca/covid-19
- Must be able to lift 30lbs and climb ladders.
- Must be interested in pursuing production management as a career. We welcome applications from individuals transitioning into theatre from other sectors, or transitioning fields within the theatre industry, provided they meet the basic requirements of this position, are adaptable, take direction well, and are willing to learn quickly on the job.
- Access to personal vehicle
- Background in technical production work
- Experience working in live-streaming, preferably in a theatre or film industry setting.
Applications close on March 8th, 2021. Interviews with select candidates will take place on March 11th and 12th via Zoom or phone call, with the successful candidate being notified by March 16th, 2021. The successful candidate will start April 6th, 2021 on a full-time basis (Monday – Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm, 35 hours/week, some evening and weekend work required with advance notice) with the contract terminating on June 18th, 2021. While there is some flexibility, we ask that any scheduling conflicts be brought forth at the time of the interview.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that all candidates will be contacted by March 9th, 2021 to let them know if they were successful in acquiring an interview.
$10,000 for full contract, paid in instalments between the beginning of contract and June 30, 2021.
Please submit the following as attachments in one email by March 8th, 2021. Please send files as PDFs, named in the following format: YourName_COVER and YourName_CV.
- A cover letter outlining your experience and why you are interested in working at Green Thumb Theatre. Please include what excites you about theatre, what you hope to gain from this job and what specific areas you are hoping to gain knowledge in.
- A CV or resume outlining your related experience and schooling if applicable.
Email your application with the subject line: ASSISTANT PRODUCTION MANAGER – Your Name
If you have any questions pertaining to this posting, or require assistance with your application, please contact Ruth Bruhn, Production Manager, at email@example.com or by phone at 604-254-4055 (228). Please note that due to staff working in office on a limited due to COVID-19, voicemails are checked once per week.
Green Thumb Theatre is actively seeking to dismantle inequity in the theatre sector, and to furthering principles of access, inclusion, and equity in our work. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC and LGBTQ+ individuals, and welcome members of those communities to self identify as they feel comfortable. Green Thumb also recognizes that artists and contractors are informed by all facets of their identities. We welcome applicants to inform us of their pronouns if they wish, and to include details about how their identity informs their practice and needs as they see fit.
About Green Thumb Theatre:
Green Thumb Theatre is a force within the field of theatre for young audiences, not only in British Columbia, but across the country and throughout the world. Green Thumb Theatre creates, produces, and tours plays that explore social issues relevant to the lives of children, youth and young adults. We provide theatre that celebrates the language and stories of today’s generation and culture to stimulate empathy, debate and critical thinking. www.greenthumb.bc.ca
Green Thumb Theatre’s offices are located in the city currently known as “Vancouver”, on the traditional, unceded, ancestral territories of the x?m?θk??y??m (Musqueam), S?wx_wú7mesh (Squamish), and s?l?ílw?ta?? (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.