Persephone Theatre, a leading cultural institution in the City of Saskatoon, is looking for a creative and passionate Production Assistant to join our team. This position supports all departments of the production team.
Persephone Theatre creates in misâskwatôminihk (Saskatoon) in Treaty 6 territory, which includes the Nêhiyawak (Cree) as original signatories and became the traditional homeland of the Métis Nation. We also extend our appreciation to the Dakota, Lakota, Nakoda, Saulteaux and Round Prairie Métis peoples for their contributions in establishing our city of Saskatoon. Persephone sits amidst an increasingly vibrant city centre and attracts a loyal and diverse audience looking for the very best in theatre experiences. From its busy mainstage, studio stage, and rehearsal halls; to its theatre school and youth programming; and the many events held in its venue, Persephone Theatre has established itself as a cultural hub.
Persephone Theatre is committed to reflecting the rich diversity of our community in the stories we tell and the ways in which we undertake creating our work. We prioritize a workplace culture that centres equity, inclusion, and authentic representation. We strongly encourage submissions from those who self-identify as members of historically excluded communities, which includes (but is not limited to) those who identify as IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, d/Deaf, or who have a disability or chronic illness.
Reporting to the Production Manager and Technical Director, the Production Assistant is a key member of our production team. This is a part time, seasonal position that requires daytime, evening, and weekend shifts.
Persephone Theatre is looking for an individual who is excited to take on the following responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the carpentry, properties, and paint shops
- Assist the electrics and audio departments
- Assist other tech departments as necessary
- Attend production and technical meetings, as required
- Ensure a safe and clean work environment
- Abide by the Theatre’s safe workplace guidelines and rules, including the Code of Conduct and Anti-Discrimination policies.
- Carry out any other tasks requested by the TD or PM
Qualifications and Skills
- Grounding in the scenic elements of live theatre production
- Working understanding of all technical aspects of theatre and live events
- Basic shop and carpentry skills
- Understanding of the use and mixing of colours an asset
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills
- Able to work well both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to work well under pressure/ deadlines
- Valid Class 5 drivers license
- First Aid training is an asset
- Must be a team player, and should have a love of the theatre and the performing arts
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to become a member of, and maintain good standing in, IATSE local #300.
Salary and Benefits:
- The salary is $21.38 per hour, to be paid bi-weekly. This is subject to change once negotiation of the collective bargaining agreement between Persephone and I.A.T.S.E local 300 has concluded.
- Anticipated hours are 20-30 per week. Weekly hours will fluctuate in response to production demands.
- Overtime is governed under the collective agreement and will be calculated as per clause 16.1.5.
Interested parties should forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of Derek Butt, Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fair and equitable employee and volunteer recruitment practices will be used at all times so that all qualified persons regardless of race, creed, age, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, nationality, ancestry, ethnic origins, family relationship, number of dependents, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, socio-economic status, or membership in a union will be considered to fill any positions that may become available within the theatre.
Persephone Theatre recognizes that people experience disadvantages achieving candidacy due to systemic oppression. Our candidate search process will be deliberately mindful of under-represented groups, and aims to be cognizant of any biases that may interfere with an equitable hiring practice. Persephone Theatre’s employment goal is to hire competent, highly engaged individuals to constitute a staff and volunteer base that reflects the diversity of our community.
Persephone Theatre relies on section 48 of the Saskatchewan Human Rights code to give preference to marginalized and racialized people.
100 Spadina Cr. East
Saskatoon, SK, CA
|Posted:||Jul 12, 2022|
|Compensation:||$21.38 per hour|
|Apply Now (This company has requested a direct email with resume attached)|