Work From Home / Remote, AP
Director Legal Counsel - Law Department
Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
Division: Legal, Regulatory and Governance Department
Work Status: Full Time, Remote
Location: Toronto, ON (Must be in Ontario)
About the Role
The Corus Entertainment Legal, Regulatory and Governance Department has an exciting opportunity to join our Content Legal Team as a Director, Legal Counsel. The successful candidate will play a key role in advancing our animated and live-action content development and production strategy (including in our kids content studio Nelvana), as well as contributing to content creation activities elsewhere within Corus as part of our Content Creation Legal Centre of Excellence.
- Drafting and negotiating all manner of commercial agreements relating to the development, financing and production of audio-visual content including television programs, and advising on legal structuring of such programs;
- Errors and Omissions compliance, including script clearance, and review of copyright and title reports;
- Advising on other content creation/production activities within Corus including, possibly, publishing, short-form and other digital content, news and other non-dramatic in-house produced programming;
- Flexibility to assist with overflow on matters relating to other stages, and ancillary activities, in the television program business cycle including broadcast/exhibitor commissioning, distribution and/or merchandising if required; and
- Handling of inbound copyright and other infringement enquiries and threatened claims (pre-litigation) as required.
Qualification, Knowledge, Experience
- Lawyer in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario;
- Minimum of 4 years of legal or business affairs experience in television production work including the acquisition/optioning of development properties (and experience with complex underlying rights scenarios), and errors and omissions compliance and clearance work. Candidates with less experience will be considered based on the nature and extent of that experience;
- Strong knowledge of applicable guild agreements including ACTRA, WGC, DGC, and working knowledge of US guild agreements including WGA and SAG-AFTRA; and
- Strong knowledge of Canadian content regulations, and the rules and regulations of public financing sources for Canadian content.
- Experience with other forms of content including music, publishing, social media, branded content, news/journalism and/or podcasts;
- Experience with other stages and ancillary activities in the television program business cycle including broadcast/exhibitor commissioning, distribution and/or merchandising (including emerging products like NFTs).
- Excellent drafting skills (clear, concise), including being comfortable drafting novel agreements without the benefit of on-point templates;
- Strong decision-making ability in the face of incomplete information and uncertain outcomes;
- Adept at striking a balance between expedient pursuit of business objectives, on the one hand, with pragmatic management of key legal risks and attention to detail on the other hand;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines in the face of competing priorities;
- Proactive “team first” orientation, with the capability of working both collaboratively and independently as required; and
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work well with individuals at all levels of the organization with respect and professionalism.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now.'
Internal candidates must meet eligibility requirements before you can apply for an internal position at Corus, which includes being in their current role for at least 12 months. Please ensure you notify your manager before applying to this role.
|Category:||Admin / HR|
25 Dockside Drive
Work From Home / Remote, AP,
|Posted:||Aug 02, 2022|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)