The Theatre Centre
Director of CommunicationsFeatured
The Theatre Centre is a nationally recognized live-arts incubator and community hub. Our mission is to offer a home for creative, cultural and social interactions to invent the future. We make work that spans disciplines and genres; work that pushes the boundaries of what is considered performance.
In 2014, The Theatre Centre completed a $6.2 million transformation of an iconic heritage building into a permanent home for the company. Since that time, we’ve established ourselves as a cultural & community hub in the heart of West Queen West. As a charitable organization, we continue to be known for having research & development at the heart of our artistic activities, through our long-term Residency Program. Recently among our Residency artists have been a choreographer, a performance artist, and a neurologist. No two projects are alike.
- The Theatre Centre is looking to fill the role of Director of Communications
Director of Communications: Full-time Position
Hours: 40 hours/week
Start date: January 2023
The Director of Communications will oversee the strategic communications for the organization and work with the management, artistic, publicity, and development teams to fulfill yearly communications and development objectives. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join our small, enthusiastic team and to play an integral role in a thriving live-arts institution.
The successful applicant will use their skills to:
- Position The Theatre Centre as a leading voice in the arts and community-building
- Engage and excite audiences early on and throughout the entire creative process
- Break down traditional barriers and expand The Theatre Centre’s audience with special attention paid to racialized, Disabled, and other marginalized communities
Areas of accountability include:
- Work with the strategic communications committee of the board to develop, update and maintain the yearly communications plan (calendar, audience matrix, key objectives, goals, and strategies)
- Create and manage yearly communications budget along with artistic director and managing director
- Work with the Development team to set fundraising goals and strategies, and to create material for yearly campaigns, and special initiatives
- Contribute to operating and project-based grant writing processes
- Manage the role of part-time Marketing & Communications Coordinator, and other contract-based communications personnel for the creation of all copy & graphic elements for print, digital, and social content
- Work with the Marketing & Communications Coordinator to develop a social media calendar
- Oversee e-blast communications and coordinate scheduling with the Publicity, Development and Production teams
- Manage internal communications ensuring all staff are aware of events, shows, and the TC values and goals
- Exceptional communicator with strategic planning experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with a high attention to detail
- Experience writing captivating material for different groups including audiences, community members, funders, donors, foundations, granting bodies etc.
- Experience writing and editing successful grant applications
- Knowledge of development procedures and best practices
- Experience working in the performing arts/live-arts sector; knowledge of The Theatre Centre is an asset
- Experience working with Wordpress
- Ability to work independently and with a team; experience managing people is an asset
- Experience with setting priorities for work-flow, and helping set & articulate priorities for others
- A strong, self-directed work ethic with experience in a hybrid setting of both remote and in-office work
- Graphic design skills are an asset; you have an eye for design and the ability to communicate with designers
- Experience working with Wordpress, Dropbox, monday.com, Slack, Zoom, and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro) is an asset
How to Apply:
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirit people, First Nations, Inuit and Métis, Black people and people of colour, and people with disabilities. We’re also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We will be accepting applications and interviewing on a continuous basis until the position is filled, though interviews will begin no sooner than January 16, 2023. Applicants are being asked to submit an updated resume, along with a cover letter. You may also be asked to share samples of your writing should you be contacted for an interview. Please send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email, please let us know where you heard about the job.
Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname_Communications.pdf.
Thanks for your interest! While we thank all applicants who submit their candidacy for this posting, personal responses to all inquiries may not be possible.
|Category:||Advertising / Marketing|
The Theatre Centre
1115 Queen St W,
Toronto, ON, CA
|Posted:||Dec 28, 2022|
|Apply Now (This company has requested a direct email with resume attached)|