Vancouver School District 39
Alternate Format Technical Production AssistantFeatured
Work in BC’s most culturally diverse and urban school district, Vancouver School District No. 39. Set in one of the world’s most livable cities, Vancouver is a community-minded district seeking talented educators, progressive leaders, and skilled support staff to enrich the learning experience of Vancouver’s 50,000 students.
The Vancouver Board of Education welcomes applications for the position of:
Alternate Format Technical Production Assistant –
Provincial Resource Centre for the Visually Impaired
(Technical & Resource Support C)
Location: #106-750 W 75th Ave, Vancouver
Position Type: Permanent
Salary: $35.20 per hour + Extensive Benefits & Municipal Pension
Hours of Work: 7 hours per day, Monday - Friday
Only applicants who are fully qualified will be considered for this position
With deep gratitude and respect, we are honoured to be learning and unlearning on the ancestral and unceded lands of the h?n?q??min??m? speaking people of x?m?θk??y??m (Musqueam), S?wx_wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish) Nation, and s?lilw?ta? (Tsleil-Waututh) Nation.
The Vancouver School Board (VSB) is an exciting, progressive, and dynamic school district providing a rich array of educational opportunities for learners from kindergarten to adult. VSB has 110 educational sites and more than 8,000 employees, represented by 14 bargaining units and exempt staff. Vancouver schools have an excellent reputation as being diverse and inclusive. VSB enrolls nearly 50,000 students of which, nearly 5% identify as being of Indigenous ancestry. VSB respects, prioritizes, and supports Indigenous ways of knowing and learning.
The District welcomes qualified applicants who value equity and diversity as essential to excellence. The distinct makeup of the VSB community strives to support the inclusion of all voices. You may wish to share some lived experiences that demonstrate your connections to our diverse student community.
PRCVI / ARC-BC is a provincial resource program established to support school districts and group I and II independent schools in meeting the needs of students with blindness/visual impairment and perceptual disabilities through the provision of alternate format materials and consultation support.
In this role, you will:
- Scan hard copy materials and add markup to create digital alternate format materials consistent with provisions in the Copyright Act of Canada for students with perceptual disabilities
- Remediate digital files to create STEM-focused (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) materials in digital alternate formats for students with perceptual disabilities via ARC-BC
- Proofread electronic texts across a range of formats
- Proofread and revise publishers’ electronic files for alternate format production
- Collaborate with PRCVI outreach and alternate format production staff to develop and record accessible webinars and other professional learning opportunities delivered remotely
- Support the production of 3D printed alternate format models by creating and producing tangible models to compliment digital alternate format content
- Provide technical and resources functions to support the division
- Perform other work within the job band as assigned
- Completion of grade 12 plus 2 years of post-secondary training in a Media Production, Graphic Design or Programming
- Minimum of 4 years related experience
- Experience with digital accessible STEM content production in MathML
- Familiar with the basic principles of digital accessibility and alternate format production workflows including PDF, EPUB, and e-Text formats.
- Proficiency in the practical application of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software (e.g ABBYY Fine Reader, OmniPage) and markup in Adobe and Microsoft Office suites
- Must be able to lift, carry and maneuver heavy materials (minimum 10 kg)
Your application must include:
- Cover letter
- Three reference names (must be supervisors) with their email addresses and telephone numbers
Qualified applicants are invited to apply on Make a Future at https://bit.ly/458tsJx.
We do not notify unsuccessful applicants or respond to inquiries regarding the status of an application.
Applicants will be contacted directly if we are interested in moving forward or if an application requires additional information.
Vancouver School District 39
1750 W 75th Ave #106
Vancouver, BC, CA
|Posted:||Aug 10, 2023|
(This company has provided an external site for you to apply)