The Shaw Festival
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Production Stage Manager
Vision & Mandate:
As one of the world’s leading theatre companies and Niagara’s 20 largest employers, The Shaw is dedicated to an ongoing process of increasing diversity and inclusion in our audiences, our programs, and in all our hiring for staff, artists, and in the recruiting of board members. The Shaw is committed to a future when our theatres joyously draw on and include all peoples, fully reflective of the world around us. As such, the Shaw Festival is an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. We encourage and invite applications from applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black or as persons of colour (IBPOC), the LGBTQ2+ communities and those identifying as gender fluid. In accordance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and in keeping with our wish to ensure a fully inclusive environment, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process. We will be happy to assist.
We acknowledge and honour the land upon which we gather as the historic and traditional territory of First Nations peoples. In particular, we recognize and thank the Neutral Nation, the Mississauga and the Haudenosaunee for their stewardship of these lands over millennia.
Position: Production Stage Manager
Salary: The Shaw Category CTA Minimum Fee for 2023/2024 is $1,690.00/weekly
The Shaw Festival is an ensemble repertory theatre company inspired by the spirit of Bernard Shaw to create unforgettable theatre encounters.
Founded in 1962, the Shaw is the second largest theatre company in Canada, producing 13+ productions in rotating repertory every season.
The Shaw Festival is currently recruiting a full time, Production Stage Manager to join our organization. This is an 11-month recurring contract. Reporting to the Planning Director and the Producer, the incumbent is responsible for maintaining exceptional standards of performance in the Stage Management department. The start date for this position will be January 15, 2024.
Considered a member of Shaw’s Senior Management team, the Production Stage Manager will generally stage manage one show and understudy up to 3 shows in each season, in addition to overseeing all functions of the department including:
- Independently managing a Stage Management team of 13-15 persons (APSM, SM’s, ASM’s and apprentices), working in a variety of indoor and outdoor venues, including ongoing informal and quarterly formal check-ins/evaluations
- Consulting on Stage Management departmental hiring and assignments in advance of/during each season and generally acting as first contact for HR matters in relation to the Stage Management team.
- The recruitment and training of two Stage Management apprentices, and the guidance of their work through specific projects.
- In cooperation with the Planning Director and Producer, the creation of the annual rehearsal schedule and facilitation of ongoing, effective, interdepartmental communication in collaboration with a large production team, to ensure the smooth execution of said schedule.
- Co-ordination and publication of daily rehearsal schedules for a season of 13+ productions plus ancillary events, such as but not limited to, the Academy Intensive, ensemble classes, fittings, coaching sessions, new play workshops and readings and daily maintenance of these intricate schedules in the company-wide database.
- Working in partnership with the Production Department to ensure the weekly production schedule is updated and maintained.
- Collaborating with Stage Management team to ensure deadlines are met.
- Maintaining a clear and collaborative dialogue between the Ensemble, SM team, and Senior Management.
- In collaboration with Producer and the Housing and Ensemble Liaison, supporting the well-being of the Ensemble and the Stage Management team.
- On-going in-season troubleshooting of day-to-day challenges and changes including emergency understudy rehearsals and performances.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 7 years of professional Production Stage Management and/or Stage Management experience, will have excellent attention to detail along with stellar high-level, big-picture thinking, and will possess exceptional people, communication, leadership, organizational, and multi-tasking skills. Flexibility, adaptability, curiosity, a sense of humour, and fluency with the CTA are a must. Knowledge of a repertory system is an asset. The successful candidate must relocate to the Niagara Region prior to their start date.
Please note all new hires must provide Full Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination (2 doses) plus Booster prior to their start date.
Applicants should submit cover letter and resumé prior to 6pm, Wednesday, September 13, 2023.
Shaw Festival Theatre, Canada
10 Queens Parade, PO Box 774
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON. L0S 1J0
Attention: Director Human Resources
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Shaw Festival
10 Queen’s Parade, Box 774
Niagara on the Lake, ON, CA
|Posted:||Aug 23, 2023|
|Apply Now (This company has requested a direct email with resume attached)|